Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Don't Give Up

“They that are of a froward heart are abomination to the Lord: but such as are upright in their way are his delight. (Proverbs 11:20)
There have been times when I have become so discouraged in my Christian walk that I have honestly felt like giving up. The enormous chasm between spiritual maturity and my present spiritual condition has often seemed insurmountable. Even when I know God’s will for my life, I find it hard to do. As a perfectionist and prophet-motivated person, I can be extremely hard on myself. I used to wonder if I was an abomination to God because I struggled in so many areas that I felt I should already be walking in victoriously. I thank God that the Apostle Paul did not attempt to gloss over his struggles in order to appear more holy and pious. His honesty has helped many believers. Just knowing that this great man of God struggled with the same worldly temptations that I do, encourages me to go on. Paul was no stranger to spiritual failure. “For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.” (Romans 7:19) He experienced weariness, pain and weakness. (II Corinthians 11: 27, 29) He had a thorn in his flesh that buffeted him and kept him humble. During His earthly ministry, Jesus stated that our spirit indeed is willing but our flesh is weak. (Matthew 26:41) I have learned that the world, Satan and my flesh will constantly battle against me- that is the nature of the war in which we have entered. Nevertheless, Jesus has won the victory and delivered us from the penalty of sin and its power over us. We must learn to walk daily in the newness of life. (Romans 6:4)

No comments:

Post a Comment