Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hiding God's Word in Our Hearts

“Wise men lay up knowledge.” (Proverbs 10:14a)
In elementary school, I attended my grandparent’s church and went to discipleship class every Sunday night. The teachers told Bible stories, we sang songs and a biblical foundation was laid in my young life. During the first part of every class, we took turns quoting a Bible verse we had memorized during the week. The first verse I learned was “Jesus wept.” (John 11:35) I was a little on the lazy side. The teachers made it fun for us and awarded us a gold star for every new verse we memorized. I didn’t realize the spiritual significance at the time, but God’s Word was being planted in my heart. These verses would eventually bear fruit in my life. The knowledge of God’s Word and it’s working in my spirit brought about conviction concerning the life I was living and led to godly repentance. I thank God that His Word will not return unto Him void, but will accomplish what He pleases and will prosper in the thing He sends it. (Isaiah 55:11) In our quest to become godly men, one of the most important things we can do is to memorize the Word of God. We all desire to be wise, but we will only have godly wisdom as God reveals it to us through His word. Hosea 4:6 says: “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge…” All too often, we seek direction from anyone and everyone before we even search the Word of God or prayerfully seek His will. Father, teach us to turn to You before we turn to anyone else. Help us to lay up godly knowledge. Thank you for all the servants you have sent across our paths to teach us Your Word. Use us, Lord, to further Your kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment