Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Hold Your Tongue

“He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: but he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction.” (Proverbs 13:3)
Throughout the book of Proverbs, we are frequently admonished to guard our tongues and watch our mouths. David said: “I will take heed to my ways, that I sin not with my tongue: I will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me.” (Psalms 39:1) David passed down this knowledge to his son, Solomon, who said: “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles.” (Proverbs 21:23) Our tongues have the potential to get us into a world of trouble. I have had more than my share of conflict as a result of a loose tongue. Continuing on the road to godly manhood requires gaining control of our tongue through the power of the Holy Spirit. If we insist upon taming the tongue ourselves, we will be in for a long, frustrating, unsuccessful battle. If we posses an unruly tongue, it is an indication of an unruly spirit. “For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.” (Matthew 12:34) Godly men, we must remain conscious of our mouths and the detrimental effects they can have upon those around us. We must not allow our mouths to cause our flesh to sin. (Ecclesiastes 5:6) We should walk, even as Jesus walked. (I John 2:6) “The words of a wise man’s mouth are gracious; but the lips of a fool will swallow up himself.” (Ecclesiastes 10:12) May we be wise and gracious before both God and men.

No comments:

Post a Comment