Monday, August 29, 2011

Loving God's Word

I love the Word of God; even though there are times, it wounds me deeply. It cuts to the quick and exposes my selfish motives and desires. It is a mirror that reveals my sin, and the reflection I see is often ugly to behold. Like peeling an onion, each layer of self that is removed brings tears and pain, yet I thank God for the power of His Word and its ability to convict me of sin. Dwight L. Moody admonishes believers to: “Cling to the whole Bible, not a part of it. A man is not going to do much good with a broken sword.” General Robert E. Lee said, “The Bible is a book in comparison with which all others are of minor importance. In all my perplexities and distress the Bible never failed to give me light and strength.” II Timothy 3:16, 17 says, “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” Men of God, do not run from the Word. We have a tendency to set the Word aside when we struggle with sin because we do not enjoy being convicted. Nonetheless, if we love knowledge, we will love the instruction that comes with it; the foolish, stupid man hates reproof. Continue to dig in the Word, godly men, and allow it to convict you. “As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him” (Psalms 18:30).

No comments:

Post a Comment