Monday, March 15, 2010

Trusting With Total Abandon

Becoming a godly man requires passion: we must desire to follow God and serve Him above all else. It also requires trust: we must trust that God knows what is best for us even better than we do ourselves. Along with trust comes a willing submission to God’s will for our lives. If we are honest, we will admit that we do not totally trust God to do the right thing. It sounds absurd, but it is true. Genuinely trusting God requires total abandon, which is difficult for us to do. The first time I went rappelling, the instructor strapped me in a body harness, hooked up the safety lines and ropes and advised me on how to take the slack out of the rope. To my dismay, the only way to remove the slack was to lean back off the side of the cliff and put all of your weight on the rope. I believed the rope would hold me, but it wasn’t until I actually leaned back over the 150 foot cliff that I exercised my faith. As men, we must do the same in our walk with the Lord. After I rappelled once, I had confidence to do it again. Similarly, the more I act on faith, the more confident I will become that God’s way is best. Knowing His way is best and actually stepping out on faith and trusting Him are two different things. I can either give lip service to God or choose to trust Him with total abandon. “Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.” (Isaiah 26:3).

No comments:

Post a Comment