Tuesday, June 22, 2010

If You Can't Say Something Nice...

“Hear, for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. For my mouth shall speak truth; and wickedness is an abomination to my lips.” (Proverbs 8:6, 7).
When I was a child, my mom told my siblings and me: “If you can’t say something nice, then don’t say anything at all.” I’m sure all of us heard this admonition at one time or another. As men, we’d probably get in less trouble if we heeded this advice. It is so easy to speak without thinking and allow our tongue to spew deadly poison. Our words have the power of life and death (Proverbs 18:21) and all too often, we use our tongues to wound, kill and destroy. However, if we truly desire to become godly men, we must allow the Holy Spirit to have control over this beast that no man can tame. (James 3:8).
Solomon has set the standard for our manner of conversation. We are to speak: 1) excellent things 2) right things 3) truth. Our speech is to be seasoned with salt. (Colossians 4:6), and we must be prepared to speak a good word in season (II Timothy 4:2). Solomon got to the point where wickedness was an abomination to his lips. If we are to be godly men, we must come to the same place in our lives. We must speak the things that God would have us to speak. We are obligated to use our words and tongue to bring about healing, restoration, reconciliation, exhortation and edification. When we do issue a harsh word, it should be spoken in love with the intent of bringing that person to repentance.

No comments:

Post a Comment