Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Spending Time with Your Father

“I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.” (Proverbs 8:17).
One of the foundational pillars in a growing, healthy relationship with the Lord is having daily time for praying, listening to God and studying and meditating on His Word. On the mornings I neglect my time alone with God, I struggle spiritually the entire day. If I go several days without my quiet time, my spiritual life becomes stagnant, and I feel disconnected form God. Following a set formula is not as important as spending time alone with God. As we begin communicating with Him, we will become better listeners and hearers of His voice. “Time with God each day is not about academic study or getting through a certain amount of scripture or any of that. It’s about connecting with God. We’ve got to keep those lines of communication open. Do use whatever helps… Do whatever brings you back to your heart and the heart of God. God is ultimately personal with us and He speaks in ways that are peculiar to our own quirky hearts- not just through the Bible but through the whole of creation.” (John Eldredge, Wild at Heart.) I don’t know about you, but I find it amazing that the God of the Universe, the creator of Heaven and Earth, wants to spend time with us. He desires that we love Him, call upon Him and honor Him. He stands apart from all other gods. He provided a way through the blood of Jesus so that we could enter into His presence and commune with Him. How could we not want to get to know a Father who has done so much for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment