Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Have You Made Your Mama Proud?

“The Proverbs of Solomon. A wise son maketh a glad father: but a foolish son is the heaviness of his mother.” (Proverbs 10:1)
There is no worse feeling in the world than seeing your mother cry and knowing you are the cause of her grief. I was once the foolish son, who caused his mother heaviness because of his disobedience and rebellion against God. I was prideful, selfish, abusive, destructive, lustful, arrogant, rebellious and ungodly- everything my parents raised me not to become. I eventually ended up in the pigpen of life, and like the prodigal son, it was where I came to myself. (Luke 15:17) Like the father in the parable, my parents loved me unconditionally and welcomed me with open arms after I returned “home”. I eventually returned to the truth I was taught as a child. Proverbs 22:6 says “Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.” Notice that the Word does not say that children will not depart when they are young: many people do. It says that they will not depart from it when they are old. How is your relationship with your parents? Do you honor them, cherish them and seek to serve them? Have you asked them to forgive you for the pain you caused them? Have you allowed pride, bitterness, unforgiveness or words spoken in anger to keep you from having a healthy relationship with your parents? Are you an example of the love of Christ to them, even if they have not been the best parents in your eyes? We all desire for our parents to be proud of us. If you have messed up, it is not too late. God will give you an opportunity to reconcile yourself to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment