Thursday, October 7, 2010

Why Men Hate Reproof

“He is in the way of life that keepeth instruction: but he that refuseth reproof erreth.” (Proverbs 10:17)
One of the most difficult things for me to do is to accept reproof when I am wrong. It is bad enough that I was wrong to begin with, but then I have to accept the rebuke of another person on top of it. Even when I know I need it and deserve it, I still cringe. Why? Pride! I enjoy bring right, as selfish as that sounds. This is one of the reasons that godly men are in such short supply. They are not willing to submit themselves and receive reproof when they are wrong. But the Word says: “He that refuseth reproof erreth.” Not only is he wrong, but he erreth (vacillates; is deceived or seduced). First, the man who refuses reproof vacillates: he wavers back and forth like a reed in the wind. He will not listen to godly counsel, so he must rely on his own feelings and intuitions which are not reliable because they change from day to day. Second, the man is deceived. His pride convinces him that he is right and everyone else is wrong. Since he has only one perspective in any given situation, he can be easily beguiled. Third, the man who refuses reproof is seduced. He is enticed by fleshly, lustful desires and is easily led astray. We may be prideful and stubborn, but no man wants to be deceived, seduced or wavering in his convictions. So in order to stay in the way of life, we must keep instruction, submit to godly counsel and receive reproof when it is deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment