Monday, November 22, 2010

Showing Grace to Others

“A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.” (Proverbs 13:5)
God desires truth in the inward parts (Psalms 51:6) and desires our inward man to be renewed day by day. (II Corinthians 4:16) This new man must be put on “which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.” (Ephesians 4:24) I often find myself expecting men who have no relationship with Jesus to have the same morals and high standards of integrity that Christians possess. I hate being lied to, and I detest hypocrisy. Because my life before Jesus contained both characteristics, it is easy for me to spot them in others. Instead of responding with grace and mercy, I sometimes respond with impatience- even anger. Since God was extremely patient with me when I played the fool, why then is it so difficult for me to overlook the faults of unbelievers? Part of the problem is overzealousness that comes with immaturity. God does not need me to defend Him or keep an account of the offenses and blasphemies committed by others. He will judge the wicked man and bring him to shame. God does not need me to be His policeman, blowing the whistle every time an injustice is committed against Him. My responsibility as a Christian is to live holy before men, love others unconditionally and serve the Lord with all of my heart, soul, mind and strength. If we look down our noses at unbelievers they will sense it, and we will lose the opportunity to share Jesus with them. There is a fine line between hating the things God hates and hating the sinner who commits such acts: one that can be easily crossed. May we be men who give mercy so that we may also receive it.

No comments:

Post a Comment