Friday, March 18, 2011

Swift to Hear and Slow to Speak

“In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise” (Proverbs 10:19).
When I was a boy, I would occasionally get into trouble, and I would try to talk my way out of it. Usually, the more I talked, the deeper I got into trouble. Like a fly caught in a spider’s web, the more I struggled to get out of it, the more entangled I became. A similar experience occurs when we talk excessively. I am sure everyone knows at least one person that appears to talk merely for the pleasure of hearing his own voice. If you give these foolish men enough rope, it will only be a matter of time before they hang themselves. Interrogators use this tactic when interviewing suspects. If they can get the suspect to start talking, they know chances are good he will eventually incriminate himself. Ecclesiastes 5:3 says, “A fool’s voice is known by multitude of words.” The more we talk, the more opportunities we provide ourselves to sin with our words. James 1:19 admonishes us, “Be swift to hear, slow to speak.” I have heard several of my elders share the axiom: “God gave us two ears and only one mouth; therefore we should listen twice as much as we speak.” Good advice for old and young alike. As godly men, we should possess control over our tongues. “Whoso keepeth his mouth and his tongue keepeth his soul from troubles” (Proverbs 21:23). "Even a fool, when he holds his peace, is counted wise: and he that shuts his lips is esteemed a man of understanding"
(Proverbs 17:28). We have enough trouble without bringing any more upon ourselves. May we speak only that which is profitable for edification and encouragement to those around us and not talk merely to bring honor to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment