Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Has Your Heart Shifted?

“The backslider in heart shall be filled with his own ways: and a good man shall be satisfied from himself” (Proverbs 14:14).
I have found that I do not have to worry about other people hurting me and doing me harm, because I am by far my own worst enemy. My flesh and its insatiable desires are considerably more destructive than anything others may do to me. For in my flesh, dwelleth no good thing (Romans 7:18). The backslider is filled with his own ways and given over to his flesh (Romans 13:14). A backslider must repent and begin to walk in the Spirit. “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit” (Romans 8:5). God says, “Return, ye backsliding children, and I will heal your backslidings” (Jeremiah 3:22). “I will heal their backsliding, I will love them freely; for mine anger is turned away from him” (Hosea 14:4).
Henry Blackaby said, “The greatest single pitfall for a [Christian] is the loss or turning aside from the love relationship with Jesus Christ. That’s the heart of it all. When your heart shifts everything else shifts.” At the heart of backsliding is leaving our first love, Jesus (Revelation 2:4). Only Jesus satisfies. When we turn from Him, we have forsaken the only One who can give us peace, happiness, fulfillment and lasting joy. Our flesh, with its voracious lusts, will destroy us. The man that trusts in Jesus and clings to Him will be delivered from himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment