Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I'm Not There Yet

Sometimes there are days that God lets you see yourself for who you really are, and although it is immensely painful, it is necessary for growth. After all, it is when you feel you have arrived in the Christian journey that you cease to grow. If I am being honest, I have been complacent lately. The routine of Christianity has lulled me to sleep, and I hate going through the motions. Sometimes a long stretch of I-26 and I-95 after a day visiting clients is a perfect time to take inventory of your life spiritually. Am I the man I claim to be? Do I excuse sin in my life as just being human? Have I grown accustomed to my life as it is that I have ceased to hope for something better? Do I still believe that God loves me and wants to bless me more than I can think or imagine? Has my pursuit of happiness become more important than the people God places in my path to reach and influence? Am I a good steward of my money? Am I preparing myself to be the husband that my future wife deserves?

As you can see it was a very long ride back from Charleston. My spiritual inventory revealed many places in which I am lacking. I was convicted to renew my spiritual journey with gusto. It is so easy when this world is pulling you a million different directions to lose your first love. Quite a few tears were shed when the Holy Spirit reminded me of all Jesus had done for me, how "He brought me up also out of an horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God: many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the Lord." (Psalm 40:2-3)

So tomorrow is a new day, a chance to begin again. Not just for me but for you as well. His mercies are new every morning (Lam. 3:23), and if we confess our sin, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (I John 1:9). Who wouldn't want to serve a God like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment