Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A Holy Fear of God

“Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be yet wiser: teach a just man, and he will increase in learning. The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.” (Proverbs 9:9-10).
A healthy fear of the Lord keeps us in line when the world, our flesh and demonic temptations seek to draw us away from holiness. If you had a loving earthly father, you probably have a good sense of what our Heavenly Father is like. (Men, this is one reason why it is so important for you to model godliness to your children. You are how they will perceive their Heavenly Father). My earthly father was not perfect, but he loved me, demanded respect, was fair and corrected me when I was wrong. I did not fear him, but I respected him and did not want to disappoint him. This is overly simplified, but it is a picture of how our Heavenly Father treats us. Perhaps your earthly father abandoned you, abused you or ignored you, and you have trouble trusting God as a result. Read Luke 15:11-32 for a picture of how God loves you. Our reverence and fear of the Lord will prompt us to seek His face, His wisdom and His holiness. A holy fear keeps our feet on a path of righteousness. It manifests within us a desire to please God and a longing to never disappoint Him. A healthy awe and respect for God creates a willingness to follow His commands and to be used by Him. When I realized that the Creator of the universe wanted to know me and desired for me to know Him in return, it stirred within me a hunger to serve Him. Fearing the Lord will help us remain focused on our goals of godly manhood. Lord, give us a healthy fear of You and the knowledge that comes with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment