Monday, May 24, 2010

A Loving Friendship With God

“I love them that love me.” (Proverbs 8:17a).
How do we show our love to the people that are important to us? By spending time with them. The activities that we spend our time on are the things in life to which we are devoted. If I asked each man reading this blog if he loved God, every single one would say yes. My question then, is how do you express your love? Do you spend time with Him? Is your relationship with Him alive or stagnant? Building relationships takes time- with people and with God. Adam walked with God in the garden. (Genesis 3:8). Enoch walked so closely with God that he was taken from the earth without ever seeing death. (Genesis 5:24). Noah was a just man and walked with God. (Genesis 6:9). Moses talked with God face to face as a man speaketh to his friend. (Exodus 33:11). David was a man after God’s own heart. (Acts 13:22). Abraham was called the friend of God. (James 2:23). These men loved God. Are you aware that God will meet you where you are? In John 21:15-19, Jesus discusses with Simon Peter his love for Him. Jesus’ first question to Simon Peter was: Simon, do you love [agape-unconditional love] me? Peter replied: yes, Lord, you know that I love [phileo-friendship love] you. Jesus asked Peter again: Do you agape me? Peter said: yes Lord, I phileo you. Finally, Jesus asked: Simon, do you phileo me? To which Peter replied: yes, Lord, you know I phileo you. The Hebrew word for love in today’s proverb is ahab, which means to have affection as with a friend. (Strong’s). Isn’t it great to know that God is confident in His goodness? He knows that once we taste and see that He is good, we will desire to know Him intimately. We can progress from being a friend of God to His loving son.

No comments:

Post a Comment