Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Word Protects

“My son, keep my words, and lay up my commandments with thee. Keep my commandments, and live; and my law as the apple of thine eye. Bind them upon thy fingers, write them upon the table of thine heart.” (Proverbs 7:1-3). t
There have been times in my life when I rebelled against authority. Most men have fought the status quo at least once in their lives. My battle with authority was most intense as a teenager. My relationship with my father was especially volatile at this time, as I began to assert my independence. I just could not understand why I had so many restrictions and demands placed on me. Looking back, I can see that my father’s rules, discipline and boundaries were created and enforced out of his love for me and his desire to keep me from harm. Our Heavenly Father acts in the same manner. He has given us His commandments and Words to protect us and guide us. He is concerned about how we live and knew that we would live life to the fullest under his protective covering, as we stayed within the boundaries He provided. His law is meant to be the apple of our eye. This doesn’t mean that we exalt the Law above grace or the Lord Jesus. It simply means that we cherish God’s Word and His commandments, that we do not neglect His hedge of protection and that we show appreciation and thankfulness for the authority that God has over us.

No comments:

Post a Comment